A page of books

This book was made from a large drawing of imaginary flower shapes. I used acrylic paint in a limited range of bright colours, painted using small strokes, with a fine brush. When the drawing was complete, I divided the paper into four strips, joined them end-to-end then folded them to make a concertina. To finish off, the end panels were folded back and glued down to make front and back covers.

Hand made books have been something I have been experimenting with over the last few years, so I have decided to add a books page to this blog. You can find it here.

Profusion2_webprofusion_web

Walking the line – a miniature concertina book

This little book came about all of a sudden – I had been playing with pieces of drawing left from the little objects I had made from the drawing I called Drift (see my last post), trying to work out what to do with them. I prepared a piece of acid-free tissue by scrunching it up then rollering bronze acrylic paint over it, to get a textured surface. Then to link the drawing pieces, I glued them down on it, and folded them concertina style. Not knowing what to do next, I just left the concertina sitting on my desk (see the first picture below). After some thought, and just looking at it for a while (I move slowly!) decided I liked the way the folds sat together, and were like a sunburst. It seemed the best way to keep that was to make a tiny book, so cut a piece of dark brown leather to size, glued it to the back of the end pieces, then threaded a little leather strap through the spine. Although it will close like a book, I like it sitting open. I have called it Walking the Line because of the drawing inside – there are a lot of lines that have just gone for a walk.

walk_book1web walk_book2web walk_book4webwalk_book3web

Drift – moving towards resolution

Gradually, after false starts, reworks and occasional bursts of inspiration Drift, the drawing I posted some time ago (see here), is being resolved. I knew it couldn’t remain as a flat artwork, and was thinking of turning it into a cube. That didn’t seem interesting enough by the time I came to do it, so the next idea was a twisted concertina. I cut it up in a long spiral, after marking out a grid (on the back) of 55 mm squares, which was then folded along the marked lines. The intention was that the concertina would be allowed to fall in such a way that the drawing was seen in a random way, but the effect was just an unintelligible mess. So, next step was to cut up the spiral on every other fold so that I ended up with a quantity of little tent shapes. Some of these I arranged in a box frame so that the folded edges showed and bits of the drawing are exposed. Others went through more development. I cut up another random pen and ink drawing into smaller rectangles, these were folded and attached to the original pieces with gold wire, which then protruded from the top. I added little tags made from more offcuts, so that I now had shapes a little like teabags, or miniature 2-page books. These will be packed into a small black box.

drift_box_web drift_books1_web drift_books2_web