The set of six drawings on separate panels making up one large drawing based on a zucchini flower has finally been resolved. A lot of thinking and decisions made, which were then rescinded for new approaches, have resulted in a concertina book.
It’s not a conventional book, no words and really no pages, but it seems the best way to describe it. The original post about it is here, so you can see the way it was at that stage. One panel had been completely worked with colour all over, and one decision was to keep to minimal colour with plenty of white left, so that panel was started again. More work was done on all the panels, and an element of red brought in to help link them. The completed one has been put aside, maybe it will have a new life too. Clearly, since the drawing has gone from the six panels arranged in three rows of two, to a single row, I had to decide which went where. The final layout has them running in pairs, with the centre pair beginning from the left, followed by the bottom pair, then ending with the top pair. I did add a few more lines in order to make the connections smooth, but really they worked neatly this way.
The drawings have been repeated on the back in pen, mirror fashion, but with no added colour, so when light is on the book from the front the colours glow gently on the back. Joining the panels together caused a major hold-up as I tested and thought through numerous ideas. In the end I decided to make the joins a feature rather than trying to blend them in, so used red paper, which I then painted with red acrylic to avoid the paper quickly fading. I used red paper, rather than white paper painted red to avoid the white edges.
It is pen and ink with pastel pencils, finished with Prismacolor pencils on heavy, cold pressed watercolour paper.