Little boxes …

Thinking about packaging for sending out the pendants I have been making (see here) I have been experimenting with making little boxes. Trying to avoid gluing or fastening I found a template for a folded box on the ever-reliable internet. Looking around for some lightweight card to experiment with, I found a pile of Christmas cards on my desk, waiting to be recycled. These proved to be a perfect weight for these little boxes. The next bit of the experiment was to decorate my own, so I printed the template onto some 180 gsm watercolour paper, splashed some coloured inks on it in a random way and folded it up. I’m not sure I will be able to use this style of box for posted items as the handles stand up and are likely to be squashed in the post, but I’m sure they will come in handy for something!

boxes1web boxes2web boxes3web

Advertisements

Ten new pendants from paintings

A new approach to making these pendants – instead of covering the digital images of my little paintings with two-part resin, I discovered some small glass tiles that fit perfectly in the bezel backs. Once the image is securely attachedĀ to the back of the glass with a diamond finish (i.e. totally clear) glue and trimmed it can be glued into the bezel base. I am pleased with the way they have turned out – the backs are not brilliant quality, but they are silver plated so look nice. Like the previous ones (see here) these are 1 inch or 2.5 cm square. Using the glass tiles is easy for assembly, and considerably less toxic than the resin. I am tentatively offering them for sale – I am thinking $20 (Aus) plus postage and packing, and they will come with a snake-type chain. Any takers?!

pendants2web

Paintings to pendants

A new experiment – using small photos of my paintings to make jewellery. After coating digital images of some of my small paintings with two-part epoxy (liquid glass), I placed them in small silver-coloured pendant frames to make necklaces. In those few words it sounds so simple, but there was a lot of fiddling around and mess, so I have learned valuable lessons for the process next time. Firstly, I would glue the images into the frames first, then flood them with the liquid glass. This would give them a much cleaner finish – these had already been pasted on to foam core board which was far too thick for the frames so had to be cut back. The images were too large as well, so had to be trimmed, very tricky to do neatly! But all up, it has been a good experience and given me lots of ideas for different approaches another time.

The frames are 2.5 cm (1 in) square.

Painting_pendants_web